Monday, June 20, 2011

Mom

So, my mom had her surgery last Friday. The surgery lasted about 4 hours. My dad, Katie, and my Grandma Lillian were all waiting for her in the waiting room, and they were getting so antsy!! Mom finally finished her surgery around 5:00, and immediately went into recovery. The hospital didn't have a room ready for her yet, so they didn't get to see her until 8:00 that night. Needless to say, it was a LONG day for them...and for me. I was just waiting by the phone all afternoon, worried. There are so many things that can go wrong during a surgery, especially one in which they slit her throat open and begin removing things. The main thing to worry about is damaging the vocal chords, but luckily, everything went really well! She can talk, and eat, and get out of bed...things we take for granted every day! She had a really bad night, the first night. The anesthesiologist forgot to put Phernergan into the medicine he used to knock her out, and she spent that first night vomiting every 20-30 minutes. I know she was just miserable!!! Finally, saturday morning, the vomiting subsided, and she began to feel better. She finally got released from the hospital on Saturday evening, and was so happy to get home to her own bed. Her mom was there to take care of her and make her food, etc... Sunday, she started to feel really bad, again. Her hands and feet began to numb and she was shaking. Dad took her back to the hospital on Sunday night, and she was re-admitted. Her calcium levels were extremely low. Now that she no longer has her thyroid, she is having trouble keeping her calcium levels high enough. She has these Parathyroid Glands that were left behind that are supposed to help with this, but apparently they aren't "awake," as the doctor put it. She is currently in the hospital, getting a calcium drip every so often, and blood drawn to keep testing her levels. My sister just called and told me that her Magnesium and Potassium levels are low, too, so they are monitoring those, as well. I'm really hoping that they can get her levels under control...this is the hardest part with the surgery...she will always be on medication to help take the place of her thyroid...POOR MOMMY!!! Please pray that the doctors can finally get her levels where they need to be, and keep them there, and that she has a smooth recovery because I know she's been miserable thus far. I'm hoping she gets to go home soon, for good!

Just wanted to update everyone on my mom! I am flying to Florida on Wednesday, and I will get to spend some time with her...so at least that makes me feel better!

Thanks for your prayers,
Carrie

1 comment:

  1. Girl, tell your sweet momma that I know how that feels. I have been on Synthroid since 2006 and will be on it until the day I die. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete